« Home | Running Out of Time » | My New Best Friend » | So This One Time, at Body Pump... » | Running Without Charlotte » | Tay Meets High Park » | Wonder Woman » | Still Exercising, Just Not Blogging » | Type A Personality? » | Coordinated » | Exhaustion Sets In / Skinny Jeans »

Last Days of Disco Exercise

The last days leading up to my surgery were as I had planned them, I didn't do any additional exercise but still did the things I had planned - the run on Saturday as a prequel to Sunday's Run for the Cure, followed by the Run and then Body Pump on Tuesday morning.

It was sad to be running on Saturday knowing that it was one of my last runs for a couple of months, but the Run Sunday morning was a fabulous send off - it was my first time doing an organized run for charity and if I had to guess, I would say the Run for the Cure was probably the best run I could have picked. It's impossible to describe the feeling of being surrounded by 30,000 people running for one cause - to look ahead and behind and seeing a moving, living street of people doing something so selfless was...just indescribable. Our group of 4 quickly seperated but Geraldine and I made sure that we stayed together - I didn't have any times to beat, or any place that I needed to be so I just ran with my girlfriend and we chatted as we went up one side of the street and down the other. We finished the run in 30 minutes 5 seconds which I was perfectly happy with. As I crossed the finish line, it fleetingly crossed my line that this was the last run for many, many days but it was the perfect send off in so many ways.

Body Pump on Tuesday morning was more to let Instructor B know that she wouldn't be seeing me for 6 weeks or so - I tried to take it easy in the class knowing I shouldn't be overdoing it, but as we nailed down each track, I felt something like despair settling in. I'm amazed at just how much exercising has become such an integral part of my life - it was almost a year ago when I first joined the gym near work, when I finally get back to Body Pump it will be my one year anniversary - if I look back at the changes in my body because of this one class, I'm constantly impressed by just how much stronger and leaner I have become. I've never gotten results from any other class like that one, and pairing it with running seems to be the perfect balance for me. Instructor B made me promise to take it easy, and when I waved my hand and dismissed her concern, she grabbed my arm and said that she was serious - that if I showed up in her class before the six weeks were up, she was going to kick me out. And then she said she knew what I was like, because I was just like her and that was why she was being so firm with me :). I guess she's right :).

It's now been five days since the surgery and the most exercise I've been getting is going up and down the stairs at home. It's almost frightening the changes in my energy levels and how much weight I've lost - I weighed in at 159 the morning of my surgery and yesterday morning the scale read 150.5 - 8.5lbs in 4 days is a little too quickly. Sunday morning was the worst morning of all - Saturday I had been consuming mostly juice and broth and I could feel how weak I was when I woke the next morning and found myself tiring very easily. I've been a little more proactive with my diet since then, making sure to drink smoothies and meal replacement shakes that have all the nutrients that I need. This morning when I weighed myself I was at 150lbs which is better because it means the rate of loss has slowed down some - but it's funny (or scary?), I never expected to crash land into my weight loss goal in quite the manner that I have. I'm trying to be up and moving around as much as I can but even little things like changing the bedding this morning was enough to make me pause and sit on the bed for a while. I never, ever really understood the delicate balance between eating and doing until now - when I think about how I felt sitting on the bed this morning catching my breath and then thinking that it was only a month ago that I could run for 45 minutes and THEN do an hour in Body Pump, it makes me shake my head.

This part, these limitations to my physical self, the changes to the strength and ability that I have has been the hardest to deal with...more so then the surgery itself, the not being able to talk, and all the swelling. It really does suck...but at the same time, it's taught me to appreciate my strengths and abilities...and to not take them for granted.


* Kill Bill:Vol 1 (2003)

Weighing In

  • Current Body Fat: 24.3%

  • Body Fat Goal: 20.0%

  • Current BMI: 22.5

  • BMI Goal: 21

  • Current Weight: 148lbs

  • Weight Goal: 140lbs

Working Out

  • Monday: Running, 30-45min

  • Tuesday: Body Pump, 1Hr, Running, 30-45min

  • Wednesday: BodyFlow, 1Hr

  • Thursday: Body Pump, 1Hr

  • Friday: Running, 35-45min

  • Saturday: Running, 35-45

  • Sunday: Rest

Previous posts