« Home | So This One Time, at Body Pump... » | Running Without Charlotte » | Tay Meets High Park » | Wonder Woman » | Still Exercising, Just Not Blogging » | Type A Personality? » | Coordinated » | Exhaustion Sets In / Skinny Jeans » | Recovery Run Plus Golf » | Darkness is Creeping Up Fast »

My New Best Friend

One of my gifts from Tay for my birthday was a Polar Heart Rate Monitor - we've been so busy with TIFF the past week that I haven't had a chance to program it or use it while running, but the other night while making dinner I set everything up and this morning I wore it for the first time when we went for a run.

And oh my god, running will never be the same. As soon as we finished our warmup, I took off running and right away, my watch started to beep because my heartrate skyrocketed (182), so I slowed my pace down and the beeping stopped. As we ran, all I had to do was glance at my wrist to get a reading, and was able to monitor that for the first 20 minutes of our run, my heart rate stayed at a steady 162, occasionally dropping to 159 or raising slightly to 165. In the last 15 minutes of the run, my heart rate rose and the watch beeped at me and when I looked down, my HR was at 175 - which made sense because it was the last half of our run and I was working harder and more tired, so I simply slowed it down a bit and the beeping stopped. By the end of our run we were going pretty slow, but I was still in the 160 range, which is where I wanted to be to burn calories. I couldn't believe how easy the monitor was to use, or how neat it was too simply pass the watch in front of the strap I was wearing around my chest to switch the display to the stopwatch or the time. Genius!

This is my new best friend; her name is Felicia*:



Workout (Cardio)
Walking (Warmup): 5 minutes
Running: 35 minutes
Walking (Cooldown): 6 minutes

Time: 46 minutes, 26 seconds
Avg. HR: 153
Max HR: 182
Total Distance: 6.14km
Running Distance: 5km

*So named after Canadian Olympic athlete Perdita Felicien who crashed during the first hurdle of the 100 metres final in 2004 and was slaughtered in the news as having "taking down with her an opponent, a gold-medal dream and the spirits of millions of Canadians". I remember that I liked the Canadian flags tatooed on her shoulder and thighs and painted on her fingernails. Even better, I like the idea of if you fall, you just have to get back up.


* Kill Bill:Vol 1 (2003)

Weighing In

  • Current Body Fat: 24.3%

  • Body Fat Goal: 20.0%

  • Current BMI: 22.5

  • BMI Goal: 21

  • Current Weight: 148lbs

  • Weight Goal: 140lbs

Working Out

  • Monday: Running, 30-45min

  • Tuesday: Body Pump, 1Hr, Running, 30-45min

  • Wednesday: BodyFlow, 1Hr

  • Thursday: Body Pump, 1Hr

  • Friday: Running, 35-45min

  • Saturday: Running, 35-45

  • Sunday: Rest

Previous posts