« Home | Workout (Cardio) » | Weekly Workout Summary » | Enough. » | Grrrr. » | This Cold Is So Kicking My Ass » | I'm Not As Crazy As I Thought » | Update » | Workout (Running/Walking) » | Weekly Workout Summary » | Workout (Cardio AND Weights) »

Workout (Weights)

Body Pump: 7:30am-8:30am

I don't listen very well.

I said last night that I wasn't going to up any of my weights but I get to class and what did I do? I increased my weights for half of the tracks we do:

Squats: 15kg to 17kg (37.5lbs)
Back and Hamstrings: 12 kg to 14 kg (31lbs)
Triceps: 7 kg to 9kg (20lbs)
Lunges: 14kg to 15kg (33lbs)

My weights are getting to a point where, when I increase and am loading up my bar, I feel apprehensive about whether or not I'm going to be able to lift it - like when I was increasing for the back and hamstrings track I initially loaded up 15kg and got scared by the heft of it and panicked and switched the plates around. It meant that I only took off a kg but it seemed more manageable and it was probably better that I did reduce it because it was definitely a struggle. I find this 'fear' a little silly because I've been very cautious about my progress and making sure that my increases are gradual - a jump in 1-2kgs is not a lot, but I'm reacting like I'm suddenly lifting 10 times the amount of weight - but maybe that makes sense because my muscles should be reacting that way to more weight regardless of how much it is.

The instructors keep telling us that when you can get through a track and it's not a struggle, that's when you should increase, and when you do increase, it should suddenly become so much more difficult. Definitely true, I fought my way through all the tracks I increased for, and found the lunges so hard that I thought I was going to throw up following them. The instructor this morning pointed out that lunges are much harder to do than squats because you really only use the one leg (if you're doing them properly, you use the other leg as a hinge). I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense so after hearing that I didn't load up my bar as much as I did for squats.

BUT can I say (for the record) that I was lunging with more weight than anyone else in the room this morning (even the instructor) as most people lunged without their weight on their shoulders but instead with their bars held vertically in front of them for support? The instructor said that lunges are great for the butt and hips(?) or thighs(?), and I can believe it - it's hurting to walk today and I haven't felt that way in quite sometime.

The new release was pretty good - I always love the days when they do a new release because there's so much excitement - they were playing music before the class while we set up so it increased the anticipation - it was kind of like that excitement you feel when you're waiting for a concert to start :). There's always more then one instructor on stage during a new release which is kind of fun but personally I prefer Instructor B over them all so when she let her cohost take over it wasn't as good but new releases only happen every few months so I can deal. Most of the music I didn't recognize but really liked some of it and I was pretty excited when I found out that Love Shack was the song for the chest presses :).

Can't wait for Body Pump on Thursday AND the temp tomorrow is supposed to be only 17 which is downright chilly, so it looks like I'll be able to run outdoors before work.

Can you tell that I'm excited to be back to working out? ;)


* Kill Bill:Vol 1 (2003)

Weighing In

  • Current Body Fat: 24.3%

  • Body Fat Goal: 20.0%

  • Current BMI: 22.5

  • BMI Goal: 21

  • Current Weight: 148lbs

  • Weight Goal: 140lbs

Working Out

  • Monday: Running, 30-45min

  • Tuesday: Body Pump, 1Hr, Running, 30-45min

  • Wednesday: BodyFlow, 1Hr

  • Thursday: Body Pump, 1Hr

  • Friday: Running, 35-45min

  • Saturday: Running, 35-45

  • Sunday: Rest

Previous posts